IKO Kiteboarding Lessons Cherry Beach, Toronto
CHERRY BEACH is the preferred location for advanced kiteboarders and foilboarders in downtown Toronto, Ontario. Located at the bottom of Cherry St, this beach offers near flat water due to the long stretching island arm of Tommy Thompson Park that curves out from a distance in the East and breaks all the incoming waves from the South!
How to use the Billy Bishop Toronto Island Airport real-time wind report to assess kiteboarding at Cherry Beach.
The Billy Bishop Island Airport real-time wind report is here:
Bookmark this link, and refer to it for all daily downtown Toronto kiteboarding sessions.
The real-time wind report looks like this.
And if we overlay that real-time wind report on a Google Map of Toronto Islands + Cherry Beach, we get the following information.
One of the Billy Bishop Toronto Island Airport runways is the same angle/direction as Cherry Beach. From that we can easily determine the real-time wind direction and speed at Cherry Beach! Massive!
The Challenges of Kiteboarding at Cherry Beach:
- The launch spot is both very short, and very narrow – with just a little more than 20m from treeline to shoreline there is minimal margin for error.
- The beach is very rocky when entering and exiting the water.
- The lake is immediately very deep.
- If the wind shifts direction from SW to W everyone is cut off by the Toronto Island wind shadow.
- Aside from Cherry Beach, there isn’t really any other spot to land safely with the kite in the air. Nearby beach has the treeline at the shoreline.
- On an East wind, if you fail to return to Cherry Beach, you will end up downwind on the Toronto Island.
- On a West wind, if you fail to return to Cherry Beach, you may end up in the marina.
- Being the preferred, accessible kite spot in downtown Toronto, when the wind is blowing there will be a lot of kiteboarders on the beach, on the water, and up in the air!
- On beautiful summer days Cherry Beach can be overrun with sun-seeking beach bums!
A significant degree of kiteboarding proficiency is required – staying upwind is essential to a successful session.
Once a student has achieved the proficiency required the accessible opportunity of Cherry Beach will multiply the number of kite sessions per season, and therefore the speed of progression as well. However, given the advanced challenges listed above Cherry Beach is for students who have already completed levels 1 & 2 and are now receiving IKO level 3 instruction.
Cherry Beach is also the preferred location for foilboarders – where on any given windy day you will find at least as many, or even more, foilboarders than kiteboarders in the water.
The drive to Cherry Beach from anywhere in the Toronto downtown core takes from 5 to 25 minutes, depending on traffic.
Ideal wind directions: E, SE, SW
Toronto Ontario Kiteboarding Blog
This is a tremendous achievement made possible by Fawzi's laser focus and commitment to success every windy day - and, especially, with help from many of the kids on Kite Beach, including my special assistant Charliy Renelus! Thank you to EVERYONE
Blessed with amazing winds and summertime temperatures, we are still teaching in November! Last week Derek was UP and RIDING on his first day of lessons at Oliphant, Ontario - but we didn't get video, and his friends didn't believe he could be
Derek James, Successfully UP & RIDING With One Full Day Of IKO Kiteboarding Lessons At Oliphant, Lake Huron
Congratulations Derek James - from ZERO to HERO - UP and RIDING and EDGING - with just one full day of laser-focused kiteboarding lessons at Oliphant, Lake Huron, today! Derek has previous snowboarding/wakeboarding experience that definitely helped. We started at
Thinking about a kite holiday, wondering where to go? Kite Beach Cabarete is an excellent destination for so many reasons! In this video you can see the kind of waves you can expect to find kitesurfing around the reef-break at
Sara successfully completed IKO Level 1 and went straight away into the water, learning IKO Level 2 at Turkey Point, Lake Erie. We made a LOT of progress in one day - a testament to Sara's determination to make her
The Great Lakes Surf Company opened this year and are helping to provide quality kite gear at great prices for kiteboarding on the lakes of Ontario. Currently they are one of a few dealers of all NOBILE kite products in